Search an Oddity:

Friday, June 24, 2011

Simplicity?? What the hell is that?


"Cowards die many times before their deaths, The valiant never taste of death but once."
Many of you rememeber this quote from William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. Whether you go by it, I won't like to speculate.


What I was going to say, before I drifted away (hey, that rhymes!) was that people have stopped being simple and effective with their communication. The aforementioned quote  is so direct, it totally captures your sense of understanding; but nowadays, if you take things literally, it's a long way down for you.

We've stopped being simple. Our means of getting our points across have become so complex and meandering that all of our IQs are going through the roof! We would gladly be sarcastic, rather than being straight. (Again, don't take "rather than being straight" literally!)

I am a victim of this phenomenon too. I caused unintended happiness in people. Not that I regret it, 'it' referring to the "causing happiness" part, not the way I achieved it. (Damn it! This has got to stop!)

There is this friend of mine who cracks very lame jokes and specializes in taking cases, that, (and I kid you not!) almost murders the person in front, not because of the sharpness of his words, but their awfully boring nature; and don't get me started behavioural characteristics. Anyway, after another of his/her (I'm avoiding all finger-pointing you guys always accuse me of, and hence controversy!) random, weird act, I told the person that he was funny. I think you get what I meant, but I don't think he/she did; as he/she smiled from ear to ear and said, "Thanks! Appreciate it!"

Some people in my college have, well, out-of-the-ordinary tastes regarding shirts, jeans, hairstyles, the works. The shirts are particularly the ones to comment on. Lets just say that they are so flashy and bright that they can put Thor's thunderbolts to shame! What generally happens is, I come across a friend wearing one of these signature shirts; and when I do, I smirk and say something like, "That's a nice looking shirt you got there!". The replies are not exactly predictable. Most are like, "Thanks! I thought so too when I looked at it on the mannequin yesterday!"

In a way it is good since we cause happiness in people's lives; and in another, very prominent way, it is very, very bad. If people get what you mean, they take offence in a way that is not very becoming. I learnt this the hard way, so this is just a heads-up for you people out there.

Keep it simple, silly! (This is not stealing <the Docomo ad, remember?>, I call it creative inspiration.)

1 comment:

  1. oh my fucking god !
    It is too good dude.... I have really enjoyed it after reading it ... man i will try to remember and implement it in my life :)

    ReplyDelete