Search an Oddity:

Friday, August 9, 2013

Emotions: Calm (thin line) Chaos


Its one of the human traits I dread, simply because I don't have the tiniest clue as to how to express it. And I'm very sure that I fall into a category that is quite populated. How much is insensitive, how much is just right, or how much is a pathetic, emotional wreck? I mean, sure, we have images in our heads that define all three, but isn't that relative?

I was watching this movie called Equilibrium, where people were made to put an end to their feelings using a serum called Prozium, and it led to a world without emotions. Unrealistic, but scary. Having emotions isn't a bad thing, I believe; its just that we still haven't managed to learn how to regulate it according to the situation at hand.

Lets see how people express (which goes first? Alright, you go, happiness.) a bright, happy emotion.

The most common way I see around me is people singing or dancing, like a hum or a jiggle. No, I don't live around crazy, insane people. Well, maybe a little. Just being around such stuff lifts my spirits, as I'm sure it does with many of you. Even I do the singing from time to time, though not too loudly; don't want to scare the neighbours with my melodic tune, you know.

Another way, and I love this one, is to eat gastronomic stuff and enjoy it like you won't be able to find them for a long time to come. This particular way just boosts my happiness exponentially. If you haven't tried this yet, please do. It's an experience, I promise.

And there's the old turn-me-into-a-chatterbox way, which really is self-explanatory, you spoon-feeders. When this goes to the extreme with someone around me, though, my mind does something like a dramatic horror movie SSSHHHHHH... while my ears do the listening and my head is nodding along. Come on, I don't want to burst his/her bubble, you know!

Now lets move to the darker side (and not the cool kind, unless emo's your thing) of things.

More often than not, people turn to the bottle for answers. And they never seem to find out which bottle's bottom holds the answer. Not a very healthy way to let it out, by the looks of it. And the hangover, isn't that a real bitch?

The approach that I tend to adopt most of the time, as I noticed, is the "one good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" method. Yeah, I kind of do my soul-searching with my music, and not just for the sad ones, the happy ones too. So, during sad ones I'll be singing along to stuff that would help me get out of it soon.

One way I've seen on one occasion (and it scared the shit out of me!) is of inflicting pain on oneself with a knife or something. I kid you not, this happened. I walk into our kitchen, and I see this guy with a knife in the right hand. I didn't know what was going on, so I joked, "you want an apple or something to go with that?" (How was I to know??) He says, "Funny. No, thanks. I'm good." "So, what are you doing anyway?" "I'm hurting myself." "Why the f*** would you want to do that?" "Some people caused me pain. I don't want to do the same to them. So I'm inflicting it on myself, rather than on them." Needless to say, I took the knife from his hand, and literally kicked him out of the kitchen. That inflicted the pain he wanted so badly, right? Win-win situation for me, I tell you.

The best way, and something I never seem to be able to practice, is talking about it with someone close.  You get a load off your chest and even get ideas as to how you could deal with all that is wrong with your world.

So what point does all this blabbering have? Well, emotions are nice to have, adds colour to your life and all that. But when you don't leash it properly, that's when the calm turns to chaos. Utter chaos. Depression, anger, hatred, unrealistic expectations, over-confidence, attitude problems, you name it. And once its out there, its damn hard to rope it in.

So, here's to remembering Christopher Gardner in his pursuit of happiness and Barney Stinson in his stopping being sad, and being awesome instead.

Now I am getting the feeling that I've rambled on for quite some time now, so see you next time.
<sniff...> Bye; So long! <sniff...sniff>

No comments:

Post a Comment