Search an Oddity:

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Being a Bong.......



Yes, being a Bengali ( Bangali ) in this oh-so-wonderful world isn't such a difficult thing to do. Staying a Bengali, though, takes a little more effort. ( Readers thinking this to be regionalistic can suck their thumbs and write their own blogs. )

Being a Bengali outside Bengal, certain situations have built an opinion inside me that there is a little prejudice against us. I may be wrong, though. What made me feel this way is that, innately, we are too damn lazy to care if anyone is opinionated about us, but we are starting to do exactly that ( care. ). If we affirm that we are Indians first, why do others have to feel otherwise?

Anyway, I'm not here to vent my feelings ( we are too lazy to do that, remember?). I'm here to clear things about us, in general, taking myself as an example.

We love our food and drink, and if you stand in between them and us, be sure to get hurt, however non-violent we may be. Every Bengali is a major foodie and no amount of teasing about it changes that.

We may be lazy, but if we put our minds ( our prime strength, we'll come to that later ) to something, it's as good as done. Setting our minds on something is, however, a difficult thing to do.

We enjoy hanging out with friends. We have our own term for it, 'adda'. An intelligent discussion is seldom lacking when we are involved, and making fun of people and complaining about stuff is always present in an adda.

Brawns may not be what we major in ( there may be exceptions, but personally, I know of none ) but what we lack there, we more than make up for with brains. I'm sure you haven't come across a Bengali who has lame come-backs.

Contrary to popular belief, we are not cowards. Yes, this may come as a shock to some of you. It's just that whenever we think of doing something daring, our parents' faces pop into our minds. We just love our family, and parents in particular. We are selfish that way. We won't do something if a frown registers as our parents' present expression.

Those are probably the main characteristics that come to mind. I guess a Bengali friend can enlighten you more. That's it. Now, let me get out that packet of sweets. See you soon.

2 comments:

  1. hey hi,
    well this article does indeed clearly reflects how we bengalis are but except one point where i completely disagree with.... the upcoming generation in my opinion are not the ones who cant set their minds into something easily....n i guess u missed on da point dat we bongs r really talented especially in art n literature,....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I actually thought about putting the culture thing in, but totally forgot about it! My bad. And about the other point, the generation is changing but it'll take a little longer to get that "setting our mind on something" right. But that's just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete